Istanbul University, Faculty of Fisheries, Department of Aquaculture
Prof. Dr. Devrim MEMİS
Phone:+90 212 455 57 00 / 16448
Fax:+90 212 514 03 79
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Aygül Ekici
Phone:+90 212 455 57 00 / 16470
Fax:+90 212 514 03 79 (Fax)
İstanbul Üniversitesi, Su Ürünleri Fakültesi, Yetiştiricilik Anabilim Dalı, Ordu Cad. No:200, PO 34200 Fatih/İstanbul/Turkey
Organized “1st National Gamete Biology Workshop in Aquaculture”, April 3-5, 2014, Istanbul University Faculty of Fisheries, Sapanca Inland Fish Culture Research and Applied Unit. http://sugamet2014.com/en/
Aquaculture Department in cooperation with Fish Diseases Department and is a part of Faculty of Fisheries under Istanbul University. Aquaculture department consists of 2 Professor, 3 Assistant Professor and 4 Research Assistants with PhD’s. Members of the group works on several topics like, fish reproduction, fish feeding, live feeds, restocking of fish, trout production, carp production, aquarium fish production, sturgeon protection and production and etc.
This department is responsible for the lectures of Aquaculture Engineering students (Bachelor) and Masters’ and PhD Students on corresponding aquaculture topics (marine fish culture, inland fish culture, facility design, management, legislation etc.).
Main Lines of Research
• Trout culture, RAS systems research and photoperiod applications. Carp Production. Ornamental fish culture.
• Sturgeon reproduction and restocking rivers of Turkey.
• Sperm Cryopreservation.
• Fish Feeding : Feed formulations, Alternate Fish Feed Sources
Marine Aquaculture :
• Sea bass and Sea Bream Farming, Economic and Structural Analyzes of
• Fish Farming Establishments
• Fish Feeding : Feed formulations, Alternate Fish Feed Sources
• Live Feeds : Artemia replacements, Micro algae, nematodes and etc.
1- Devrim Memiş, Güneş Yamanera, Deniz Devrim Tosun, Kamil Mert Eryalçın, Mikhail Chebanov, Elena Galich: Determination of sex and gonad maturity of Russian sturgeon by using ultrasound technique. 7th. International Symposium on Sturgeon, 21-25 July 2013, Nanaimo, Canada.
2- Güneş Yamaner, Devrim Memiş, Alper Baran: Sperm quality of Russian Sturgeon with first stripping: effect of different extenders on spermatozoa motility/motility duration. 7th. International Symposium on Sturgeon, 21-25 July 2013, Nanaimo, Canada.
3- Güneş Yamaner, Devrim Memiş: Fresh Water Fish Reproduction Studies in Turkey:Present Status and Potential Development in Broodstock Management and Cyropreservation. 4th Internatiol Workshop on the Biology of Fish Gametes 17-20.
4- Çelikkale, M.S., M.,Timur, D., Memis ve E., Ercan, Influence of Acclimation to the Cold Water on Growth Rate of Russian Sturgeon Juveniles, Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences,Vol.2:137-140 (2002).
5- Memis, D., H., Gün, “Effects on Growth Performance, Gonad Development and Body Composition at First Sexual Maturity of Rainbow Trout (O. miykiss)” , 28:315-322 (2004).
6- Çelikkale, M.S., Memiş, D., Ercan,E., Çağıltay, F., Growth Performance of juvenile Russian sturgeon (A. gueldestaedtii) at two stocking densities in net cages. J. Appl. Ichthyol.21:14-18 (2005).
7- Memiş, D., M.S. Çelikkale, Ercan, E., Effects of different diets on the growth performance and body composition of Russian sturgeon (A. gueldenstaedtii). Special Issue J. Appl. Ichthyol. 22 (Suppl.1)287-290 (2006).
8- Memiş, D., E.Ercan, M.S.Çelikkale, M.Timur, Z.Zarkua. Growth and Survival Rate of Russian sturgeon (A.gueldenstaedtii) larvae from fertilized eggs to artificial feeding.Turkish Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences 9:47-52 (2009).
9- Memis, D., E., Ercan, G., Yamaner, Acclimation to farm conditions of wild caught sturgeon species as by-cath from the north-west Turkish Black sea coasts. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 27:433-435 (2011).
10- Devrim Memiş, Ertan Ercan, Güneş Yamaner, The effects of shaded pond on growth performance of Russian sturgeon (Acipenser gueldenstaedtii). J. Appl. Ichthyol. 27:571-575 (2011).
11- Serap Ustaoglu Tiril, Mustafa Zengin, Bilal Akbulut, Fikret Alagil, Devrim Memis, Murat Dagtekin, “A participatory approach to tagging and monitoring as an initial step in developing a sturgeon conservation strategy along the Turkish Black Sea Coast” J. Appl. Ichthyol. 27:411-414 (2011).
12- Akbulut, B., M., Zengin, Y., Çiftçi, S., Ustaoğlu Tiril, Devrim Memiş, A., Alkan, E., Çakmak , E., Üstündağ , İ.Z., Kurtoğlu, İ., Aydin, O., Eroğlu, S., Serdar. Stimulating sturgeon conservation and rehabilitation measures in Turkey: an overview on major Project. J. Appl. Ichthyol. 27:415-419 (2011).
13- Comparison of Manual Measurements and Computer Assisted Image Analysis in Fish Morphometry. Turkish Journal of Veterinary&Animal Sciences (2013).
1-EKİCİ, A., AKTOPRAKLIGİL, D., TİMUR, M., AKKOÇ, T., BAGİS, H., 2010. The Effect of Linear Versus Circular Vector on Enhanced Green Fluorescent Protein (EGFP) Expression in Transgenic Zebrafish (Danio rerio). Journal of Animal and Veterinary Advances, 9(8), 1232-1236. DOI: 10.3923/javaa.2010.1232.1236.
2-TİMUR, M., EKİCİ., A. 2011 Microscobic Examination of Adenohypophysis of Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio) İstanbul Üniversitesi Su Ürünleri Fakültesi Dergisi. 26(1), 1-12 (in Turkish).
3-EKİCİ, A., BARAN, A., YAMANER, G. ÖZDAŞ, Ö. B., SANDAL, A.İ., GÜVEN, E., BALTACI M. A. 2012. Effects of Adding Different Doses of Taurine on Freezing to Glucose-Based Extender Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) Semen. Journal of Biotechnology and Biotechnological Equipment, 26(1), 3113-3115.
4-EKİCİ, A., TİMUR, M.”The anatomical and histochemical examination of the pituitary gland of carp (Cyprinus carpio)”, Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 2013, 37(4) 399-403. DOI: 10.3906/vet-1108-21.
5-EKİCİ, A., BARAN, A. YAMANER, G., ÖZDAŞ, Ö. B., SANDAL, A.İ., GÜVEN, E., BALTACI M. A. The effect of streptomycin on freezing of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) sperm”, The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, 2013, DOI: IJA_66.2013.961, (in Press).
Author of Book and Section in Book
1-TİMUR, M. ve EKİCİ, A. 2009 Genetic Improvement in Fish. Nobel Publishing. 104s. ISBN 978-605-395-200-8 (in Turkish).
2-EKİCİ, A. 2011 Genetic Improvement in Common Carp. 143-178 sf. Editor: Timur, M. Sazan Balığı Üretim Tekniği. İstanbul Üniversitesi Yayınları No:5004. Su ürünleri Fakültesi No:8. İstanbul. ISBN 978 975 404 892 6 (in Turkish).
Fish Reproduction and Cryobiology Group
Prof. Dr. Yusuf BOZKURT
Phone: +90 326 614 16 93 / 321
Fax: +90 326 614 18 77
Iskenderun Technical University
Faculty of Marine Science and Technology
Department of Aquaculture
31200 İskenderun, Hatay
The research group of Fish Reproduction and Cryobiology is based on Iskenderun Technical University, Faculty of Marine Science and Mustafa Kemal University, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. The research group is involved in the study of reproductive biology of broodstock, aquaculture of potential new species, and especially short and long term conservation of fish gametes. The group currently consists of 2 professor, 2 associate professor and several PhD and MSc sudents.
Main Lines of Research
This research group conducts many research in the field of aquaculture cooperating with various fresh water and marine fish farms. The basic research of this group especially focuses on fish gamete biology and cryopreservation of fish sperm.
The research activities may be summarized such as:
- Conservation of aquatic genetic resources
- Development of quality tests for fish spermatozoa and eggs
- Improvement of various cryopreservation procedures
- Testing of new cryoprotectants
- Improvement of new cryprotective extenders
- Induced spawning of potentially important new fish species
- Broodstock management
Some of the studied species include: rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), brown trout (Salmo trutta macrostigma), grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella), mirror carp (Cyprinus carpio) and tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus). In addition, knowledge transfer from academy to aquaculture industry is another important activity of this research group.
1. Yıldız, C., Yavaş, İ., Bozkurt, Y., Aksoy, M. (2015). Effect of cholesterol-loaded cyclodextrin on cryosurvival and fertility of cryopreserved carp (Cyprinus carpio) sperm. Cryobiology. 70: 190-194.
2. Bozkurt, Y., Yavaş, İ., Yıldız, C. (2014). Effect of different avian egg yolk types on fertilization ability of cryopreserved common carp (Cyprinus carpio) spermatozoa. Aquaculture International, 22: 131-139.
3. Bozkurt, Y., İ. Yavaş (2014). Preliminary study on hybridization of brown trout (Salmo trutta macrostigma) and rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) using cryopreserved sperm. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh. IJA_66.2014.958.
4. Yavaş, İ., Bozkurt, Y., Yıldız, C. (2014). Cryopreservation of scaly carp (Cyprinus carpio) sperm: effect of different cryoprotectant concentrations on post-thaw motility, fertilization and hatching success of embryos. Aquaculture International, 22: 141-148.
5. Bozkurt, Y., Yıldız, C., Yavaş I. (2014). Vitrification of common carp (Cyprinus carpio) spermatozoa: with emphasis on post-thaw sperm quality and fertility. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh. IJA-66.2014.985.
6. Yıldız, C., Bozkurt, Y., Yavaş, İ. (2013). An evaluation of soybean lecithin as an alternative to avian egg yolk in the cryopreservation of fish sperm. Cryobiology, 67 (1): 91-94.
7. Bozkurt, Y., İ. Yavaş (2012). Effect of temperatures and storage periods on fertilizing capacity of short-term preserved scaly carp (Cyprinus carpio) eggs. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh. IIC:64.2012.680.
8. Bozkurt, Y., İ. Yavaş, F. Öğretmen, B. Sivaslıgil, F. Karaca (2011). Effect of glycerol on fertility of cryopreserved grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) sperm. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, IIC:63.2011.635
9. Bozkurt, Y., F. Öğretmen, Ö. Kökçü, U. Erçin (2011). Relationship between seminal plasma composition and sperm quality parameters of the Salmo trutta macrostigma (Dumeril, 1858) semen: with emphasis on sperm motility. Czech Journal of Animal Science, 56 (8): 355-364.
10. Bozkurt, Y., F. Öğretmen, F. S. Secer (2010). Short-term preservation of grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) eggs: Effect of extenders and storage duration. The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, 62 (3): 189-194.
11. Bozkurt, Y., F. Öğretmen, F. S. Secer, U. Erçin (2009). Effects of seminal plasma composition on sperm motility in mirror carp (Cyprinus carpio). The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture-Bamidgeh, 61 (4): 307-314.
12. Bozkurt, Y., F. Öğretmen, F.S. Seçer (2009). Effect of different extenders and storage periods on motility and fertilization success of grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) sperm during spawning season. Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 15 (3): 277-284.
13. Bozkurt, Y., F. Öğretmen, U. Erçin, ve Ü. Yιldιz (2008). Seminal plasma composition and its relationship with physical spermatological parameters of grass carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) semen: with emphasis on sperm motility. Aquaculture Research 39, 1666-1672.
14. Tekin, N., S. Seçer, E. Akcay, Y. Bozkurt ve S. Kayam (2007). Effects of glycerol additions on post-thaw fertility of frozen rainbow trout sperm, with an emphasis on interaction between extender and cryoprotectant. Journal of Applied Ichthyology 23 (1), 60-63.
Section in Book:
1. Bozkurt, Y., Yavaş, İ., Karaca, F. (2012). Cryopreservation of brown trout (Salmo trutta macrostigma) and ornamental koi carp (Cyprinus carpio) sperm. Current Frontiers in Cryopreservation, Edited by: Katkov, I. Section IV, p.293-304, Celltronix and Sanford-Burnham Institute for Medical Research USA, ISBN: 978-953-51-0302-8, 462p.