University of Ljubljana, Slovenia
Dept. of Animal Science
Ass. prof. Simona Sušnik Bajec and Dr. Aleš Snoj, senior research associate
e-mail: email@example.com; ales.snoj@ bf.uni-lj.si
Phone: +386 1 320 3944; + 386 1 320 3912
Biotechnical faculty, Dept. of Animal Science
Groblje 3, SI-1230 Domžale, Slovenia
Our group is a part of a Chair for Genetics, Animal Biotechnology and Immunology at the Dept. of Animal Science, Biotechnical Faculty. Members of the group are involved in process of higher and professional education and research in the field of phylogeny, phylogeography and population genetics with the aim to address the conservation of salmonid fish. Recently, we have extended our research to encompass functional genomics.
The group currently consists of 6 members: 1 assistant professor, 1 senior research associate, 1 researcher, 3 PhD students.
On-going research includes:
• Conservation of endemic salmonid fishes in the Adriatic drainage (Salmo marmoratus, S. obtusirostris, S. ohridanus, S. letnica, Thymallus thymallus)
• Identification and characterization of genes involved in Salmo pigmentation (micro-array analyses, RNA isolation, qPCR, cry section from skin, laser capture microdissection, transcriptome analyses, gene characterization)
• Development of new SNP markers for marble trout genotyping (new, fast system for differentiation between hybrid and pure bred individuals in hybrid zone)
• Taxonomic analysis of bullhead (Cottus sp.) in Slovenia and phylogeography in Balkans with application of molecular markers
•.Genetic background of translocated rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
• Phylogeny of Hucho sp.
More about our group: http://www.balkan-trout.com/index.htm
1. SIVKA, Urška, SNOJ, Aleš, Palandačić, Anja, SUŠNIK BAJEC Simona. Identification of candidate genes involved in marble color pattern formation in genus Salmo. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part D: Genomics and Proteomics, 2013, 8, 3, 244-249.
2. PUSTOVRH, Gašper, SUŠNIK BAJEC, Simona, SNOJ, Aleš. A set of SNPs for Salmo trutta and its application in supplementary breeding programs. Aquaculture, 2012, 370-371, 102-108.
3. HORVÁTH, Ákos, JESENŠEK, Dušan, CSORBAI, Balázs, BOKOR, Zoltán, RABOCZKI, Éva, KACZKÓ, Dániel, BERNÁTH, Gergely, HOITSY, György, URBÁNYI, Béla, SUŠNIK BAJEC, Simona, SNOJ, Aleš. Application of sperm cryopreservation to hatchery practice and species conservation: a case of the Adriatic grayling (Tymallus thymallus). Aquaculture, 2012, 358-359, 213-215.
4. SIVKA, Urška, HALAČKA, Karel, SUŠNIK BAJEC, Simona. Morphological differences in the skin of marble trout Salmo marmoratus and of brown trout Salmo trutta. Folia Histochemica et Cytobiologica, 2012, 50, 2, 255-262-
5. SNOJ, Aleš, MARIĆ, Saša, SUŠNIK BAJEC, Simona, BERREBI, Patrick, JANJANI, Said, SCHOEFFMANN, Johannes. Phylogeographic structure and demographic patterns of brown trout in North-West Africa. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2011, 61, 203-211.
6. PUSTOVRH, Gašper, SUŠNIK BAJEC, Simona, SNOJ, Aleš. Evolutionary relationship between marble trout of the northern and southern Adriatic basin. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, 2011, 59, 761-766.
7. SNOJ, Aleš, GLAMUZINA, Branko, RAZPET, Andrej, ZABLOCKI, John, BOGUT, Ivan, LERCETEAU-KÖHLER, Estelle, POJSKIĆ, Naris, SUŠNIK, Simona. Resolving taxonomic uncertainties using molecular systematics: Salmo dentex and the Balkan trout community. Hydrobiologia, 2010, 651, 1, 199-212.
8. SNOJ, Aleš, MARIĆ, Saša, BERREBI, Patrick, CRIVELLI, Alain, SHUMKA, Spase, SUŠNIK, Simona. Genetic architecture of trout from Albania as revealed by mtDNA control region variation. Genetics Selection Evolution, 2009, 41, 22.
9. SUŠNIK, Simona, SIVKA, Urška, SNOJ, Aleš. A set of nuclear DNA markers diagnostic for marble trout, Salmo marmoratus. Aquaculture, 2008, 285, 260-263.
10. ROZMAN, Tamara, DOVČ, Peter, MARIĆ, Saša, KOKALJ-VOKAČ, Nadja, ERJAVEC-ŠKERGET Alenka, RAB, Petr, SNOJ, Aleš. Evidences for two transferrin (TF) loci in the Salmo trutta genome. Animal Genetics, 2008, 39, 6, 577-585.
11. SNOJ, Aleš, BOGUT, Ivan, SUŠNIK, Simona. Evidence of genetically distinct population of Vrljika softmouth trout Salmo obtusirostris Heckel evolved by vicariance. Journal of Fish Biology, 2008, 72, 8, 1945-1959.
Tolmin Angling Association and Faronika d.o.o.
Mr Dušan Jesenšek
Trg 1. maja 7
Ribiška družina Tolmin – Tolmin Angling Association was established in 1947 as a cooperative of sport fisherman along Soča and Idrijca River.
At present time it has 435 members from Slovenia and EU countries.
It is managing Tolmin Angling District, which contains 9 main rivers (138 km, 433,6 ha) and 107 streams which are used as sanctuaries and nurseries.
In 1990 the Association has built a hatchery and in 1995 a fish farm, both dedicated to artificial propagation of endemic and endangered trout species Marble trout (Salmo marmoratus) and Adriatic genotype of European grayling (Thymallus thymallus).
From 1993 the employees of the Association have been involved in scientific and practical conservation program on Marble trout, which has produced many scientific publications linked to trout conservation and in a practice it has helped to recover and save the species.
In 2004 a similar project was lunched concerning endangered Adriatic genotype of grayling.
Due to the increasing needs for sustainable aquaculture of endangered species the Association has decided to established a company – Faronika d.o.o. – which has a better means to access the founds for aquaculture.
1. Berrebi, P., Povz, M., Jesensek, D., Cattaneo-Berrebi, G., & Crivelli, A. J. (2000). The genetic diversity of native, stocked and hybrid populations of marble trout in the Soca river, Slovenia. Heredity, 85(3), 277-287.
2. Fumagalli, L., Snoj, A., Jesenšek, D., Balloux, F., Jug, T., Duron, O., & Berrebi, P. (2002). Extreme genetic differentiation among the remnant populations of marble trout (Salmo marmoratus) in Slovenia. Molecular Ecology, 11(12), 2711-2716.
3. Crivelli, A., Poizat, G., Berrebi, P., Jesensek, D., & Rubin, J. F. (2000). Conservation biology applied to fish: the example of a project for rehabilitating the marble trout (Salmo marmoratus) in Slovenia. Cybium, 24(3), 211-230.
4. Meldgaard, T., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., Poizat, G., Rubin, J. F., & Berrebi, P. (2007). Hybridization mechanisms between the endangered marble trout (Salmo marmoratus) and the brown trout (Salmo trutta) as revealed by in-stream experiments. Biological conservation, 136(4), 602-611.
5. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., & De Leo, G. A. (2008). The role of density-dependent individual growth in the persistence of freshwater salmonid populations. Oecologia, 156(3), 523-534.
6. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., Rubin, J. F., & Poizat, G. (2008). Potential factors controlling the population viability of newly introduced endangered marble trout populations. Biological conservation, 141(1), 198-210.
7. Vincenzi, S., Crivellì, A. J., Jesensek, D., Rubin, J. F., & De Leo, G. A. (2007). Density-dependent individual growth of marble trout (Salmo marmoratus) in the Soca and Idrijca river basins, Slovenia. Hydrobiologia, 583(1), 57-68.
8. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., & De Leo, G. A. (2008). Total population density during the first year of life as a major determinant of lifetime body‐length trajectory in marble trout. Ecology of freshwater fish, 17(4), 515-519.
9. Sušnik, S., Snoj, A., Jesenšek, D., & Dovč, P. (2000). Rapid communication: microsatellite DNA markers (BFRO010 and BFRO011) for grayling. Journal of animal science, 78(2), 488-489.
10. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., Rubin, J. F., & De Leo, G. A. (2007). Early survival of marble trout Salmo marmoratus: evidence for density dependence? Ecology of freshwater fish, 16(2), 116-123.
11. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., & De Leo, G. A. (2010). Individual growth and its implications for the recruitment dynamics of stream‐dwelling marble trout (Salmo marmoratus). Ecology of freshwater fish, 19(3), 477-486.
12. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., Rossi, G., & De Leo, G. A. (2011). Innocent until proven guilty? Stable coexistence of alien rainbow trout and native marble trout in a Slovenian stream. Naturwissenschaften, 98(1), 57-66.
13. Pujolar, J. M., Vincenzi, S., Zane, L., Jesensek, D., De Leo, G. A., & Crivelli, A. J. (2011). The effect of recurrent floods on genetic composition of marble trout populations. PloS one, 6(9), e23822.
14. Vincenzi, S., Crivelli, A. J., Jesensek, D., & De Leo, G. A. (2012). Translocation of stream-dwelling salmonids in headwaters: insights from a 15-year reintroduction experience. Reviews in Fish Biology and Fisheries, 22(2), 437-455.
15. Horváth, Á., Jesenšek, D., Csorbai, B., Bokor, Z., Raboczki, É., Kaczkó, D., … & Snoj, A. (2012). Application of sperm cryopreservation to hatchery practice and species conservation: A case of the Adriatic grayling (Thymallus thymallus). Aquaculture, 358, 213-215.